Saturday, September 3, 2011

Education is learning what you didn't even know you didn't know. ~Daniel J. Boorstin



http://abright.risdblogs.org/files/2010/08/back-to-school-for-blog.jpg

Hi everybody!
Well, the first week of school is already behind us; I'm not sure where the summer went, but still, it's good to be back! Get ready for an amazing year--I'm very excited about all the things we've planned to make learning both interesting and meaningful for your children this year. Settling in, establishing our space, creating personal goals, and determining the rules and procedures that will come to define our time together, became our priority for the week.

I have to say that when everyone entered the classroom on that first day, I noticed an air of confidence about them. They already knew me, of course, and although I changed things up a bit, they knew, basically, how their classroom would look and feel. It was more than that, though. They entered as sixth graders, the school elders--a title that will provide them with both a higher level of privileges and with greater behavioral and academic expectations. Keeping the balance will be one of the many challenges they'll face this year.

I am always cognizant of the compelling influence you, as parents, have on the lives of your children, particularly as they enter my classroom in the fall and begin spending seven hours a day in my care. I respect and honor that influence, and believe that, by creating a strong home/school connection, we can work together to provide the guidance and support “our children” need to be successful.

NEXUS will provide you with information about what’s happening in school and offer ways for you to support/enhance learning at home. It will offer a place to go to check assignments and to celebrate student accomplishments. News and information will be ongoing, and as we explore the many exciting topics in store for your child this year, a plethora of supplementary resources will be added to enrich his/her learning experience. Please check in often; I will do my best to keep you updated on news and events as well as assignments and due dates. Bookmark this link for easy access, and feel free to call (I will check messages at the end of each day) or email me (tmaynard@anwsu.org) with any questions or concerns. I will do the same.

Welcome to our learning community; I look forward to working with you this year!

R/

Teri


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi7f0QwoZBITrhFkKtel0hDnALCjJKYHcWff2D1coJVtzWdpSj5Ix46HNuk2Q9aVXySiw4y8iMcmwkpISuXAxEq1ZxwKvJrnYsUV3ZAGL1htnvwzP9zfxdjwL5VFn8k0VVQoTVBD3sJm9-7/s1600-r/busy_teacher_animated.gif