Wednesday, January 27, 2010

January 27 "Great is the man who has not lost his childlike heart." Mencius


We finished District Writing Prompts today, and will take a few days to do one of my favorite writing activities... Are you ready for this? MAKING PAPER AIRPLANES! You must admit, this is an intensely clever way to get kids to write a procedure piece. I'll give them directions and a rubric tomorrow so that they know the expectations. Meanwhile, I don't want to leave ANYONE out, so check out these step-by-step instructions for making the what may well be the best paper airplane in the world. I'm going to use them in my classroom, but you may also want to try your hand in the privacy of your own home. (Personally, I'm a visual learner, so I'm going for the slide show instructions at the end before I ever try it with kids.) Check it out!
As for everything else? Well, we should have completed day 3 of Spelling, Vocabulary, and Grammar packets. Also, we completed a short Social Studies activity on Bartolomeu Dias and Vasco DaGama, which is now due for both groups. Tomorrow we'll get explore (no pun intended) the travels of Christopher Columbus (in 5th grade--we'll do it on Friday for 6th graders).
Have a wonderful evening! Time to get home...
Teri