Friday, September 18, 2009

I hear, and I forget. I see, and I remember. I do, and I understand. -- Chinese Proverb


Well, everyone, it's Friday, and that's ALWAYS something to celebrate! Your child (see above) is now home in your capable hands for two whole days. ENJOY!

You perhaps noticed there wasn't a blog last night. That's because on Thursdays I beat feet to Middlebury for classes (I'm part of a C.A.G.S. program in Curriculum and Assessment). After class, which is a hop skip and a jump from Hannafords (and T.J. Maxx) I do my errands and food shopping, so I get home long after blogging would be of benefit to anyone. The school day is always crazy, so despite my good intentions, that's usually not feasible... Suffice it to say, all "Weekly Assignments" --D.O.L., Spelling, Vocabulary, etc. are due. There is always a Spelling test. And...your child should have the day's work written in his/her binder. Make him/her accountable.

Today both Social Studies classes worked on coloring maps of North America to show the various regions where certain populations of early Native Americans settled. I took the opportunity to explain how to "read" a map; there's a lot more to it than anyone realized! Hopefully everyone got it done. If not, it should be nearly so.

My class finished lots of projects we've been working on simultaneously, and we took our first Spelling test. We also finished a Writing Pretest--denoting a "baseline" of knowledge and skill in Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics. It included a writing prompt that will be assessed and added to the overall score.

Grade 5 took the Writing Pretest today also. Then they completed their work on a fall poetry assignment that you should see displayed with the 6th grade's in the hallway outside my door. They're beautiful.

If you haven't completed the Multiple Intelligences Checklist for your child, please send it in as soon as possible. I'll be compiling information for parents (and teachers) to use when working with "our" children.

Have a restful and relaxing weekend! Weather will be a bit cooler, I hear...

Teri